Student Voice is made up of House Councils, Committees and Posts, described further below.
Our school consists of four houses: Polaris, Rigel, Sirius and Vega. Each House Council meets at least every half term with their Head of House to discuss the positive and negative position of Hampton College.
This information is then fed back to the School Council through the House Leaders and Deputy House Leaders.
The House Councils also discuss charity events and inter-form events.
We have the following committees:
- Peer Mentoring
- Teaching and Learning
- Primary Council
- Sports Council
- Green Team
- Sixth Form Senior Leaders
Each committee meets with their committee member and teacher link to discuss ideas and developments within their remit.
There are a variety of posts available for students to apply to be nominated for:
- Vice Chair
- City Youth Council Reps
Nominations are received and voted on during the first meeting each academic year.
Committee Leaders, House Leaders and Senior Leader Links meet with the Assistant Headteacher. Agenda items are brought forward from House Council meetings and Committee reports are given. The ideas from the meeting are then distilled into an agenda for the meeting with the Headteacher.
Meeting with the Headteacher
This is where we provide information about the points that need development, and improvements since the last meeting, to the Senior Leadership Team through the Headteacher. These points are then put on the agenda of the Senior Leadership Team.
This is the follow up meeting from the SLT meeting. The Assistant Headteacher lets us know what SLT have said. We delegate responsibilities to the appropriate committees and House Leaders/Deputy House Leaders. We also ask the House Leaders and Deputy House Leaders to feedback to House Councils.
Examples of our work
Below are examples of a wide variety of work that we carry out across our school and the local community.
- Black Trousers: consultation regarding uniform which was presented at full governing body meeting before informing parents.
- Local Community Services: litter picking within Hampton
- As a school we have linked with the local primary schools to hold charity events: for example, the Hampton Fun Run raising money for the MacMillan Cancer Support, which has now been hosted within the local area for 3 years. We have also won an award for this event which was for 'Outstanding Community Commitment'
- We have helped to raise money for the Thorpe Hall Hospice by holding a Bake Sale and other charitable events.
- In previous years, School Council members have raised funds for youth facilities in the area and have hosted major events such as the visit by the Archbishop of York.
- The Green Team have made efficiency changes within the school to help reduce energy consumption.
- We are currently working on behaviour and implementing reward structures.
- We have boosted confidence and moral through our secure and confidential mentoring system.
- Our Sports Council committee work closely with the local primary schools in arranging and running sports festivals.
- As part of our Teaching and Learning committee we have worked closely with each primary school preparing them for musical soirees and Art Celebration Concerts for the local community to showcase the talents in Hampton.