Little Wandle Phonics
In Phonics we aim to:
- Teach every child to read.
- Ensure phonics and reading teaching is accessible to every child.
- Build each child's alphabetic code, to enable them to master phonics to read and spell as they move through school.
- Model the application of the alphabetic code through phonics in shared reading and writing, both inside and outside of the phonics lesson and across the curriculum.
- Instil confidence in every child with their encoding and decoding skills.
- Encourage every child to see themselves as a reader for both pleasure and purpose.
At Hampton College Primary we teach Phonics using Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised which is a complete systematic synthetic phonics programme (SSP) developed for schools by schools. Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised is based on the original Letters and Sounds, but has been extensively revised to provide a complete teaching programme meeting all the expectations of the National Curriculum, the Ofsted Deep Dive into reading and preparing your child to go beyond the expectations of the Phonics Screening Check.
Link for parents page including videos and support for use at home
Reception Little Wandle Phonics Overview
Year 1 Little Wandle Phonics Overview
Year 2 Little Wandle Phonics Overview
Glossary of Little Wandle Letters and Sounds
Year 1 Phonics Screening Check